Vacancy: Sea turtle field volunteers, Puerto Rico
- By : Thérèse Yarde
- Category : Biodiversity, Employment/Volunteering
- Tags: puerto rico
Amigos de las Tortugas Marinas (ATMAR), a community-based turtle conservation organization in Puerto Rico, is seeking volunteers to assist with monitoring leatherback and hawksbill turtles during the 2018 nesting season (May to August):
ATMAR sea turtle conservation project consists of monitoring and patrolling the beaches during the leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea) and hawksbill (Eretmochelys imbricata) sea turtle nesting season, entering data to database, as well as conducting outreach and various educational activities.
- Daily early morning 3-4 hours beach patrols to count tracks and nest
- Excavation of hatched nest, collect data of nest sucess and hatchlings
- Night patrols for tagging turtles
- Create project signs and beach markers
- Conduct beach clean-up as needed
- Maintainance and preparation of reasearch equipment
- Assist with turtle patrols for schools/community groups and tourist.
- Help with Sea Turtle Education Center duties (clean the center and vehicles)
- Work 6 day/week
The application deadline is April 20, 2018. Get more information and find out how to apply over at seaturtle.org.