The Commonwealth Secretariat is inviting nominations for the 2019 Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards:
The Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards will celebrate outstanding innovators and innovations that are helping Commonwealth countries and their people achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and advance the values in the Commonwealth Charter that commit Commonwealth countries to the development of free and democratic societies and the promotion of peace and prosperity.
- Recognise innovations that are advancing sustainable development in -Commonwealth countries in line with the Commonwealth Charter and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Highlight the innovative potential across the Commonwealth;
- Inspire the next generation of Commonwealth innovators.
The award-winning innovations must reaffirm the core values and principles of the Commonwealth as declared in the Commonwealth Charter.
There will be three award winners for innovations in each of the five categories:
- Improve the well-being (i.e. health, education, human rights etc.) of Commonwealth PEOPLE
- Improve PROSPERITY (i.e. economic development, trade, etc.) in the Commonwealth
- Promote PEACE and justice in the Commonwealth
- Protect the PLANET and the natural environment in the Commonwealth
- Promote PARTNERSHIPS for sustainable development in the Commonwealth
The winners will be chosen for the impact or potential of their innovations to advance one or more of the 17 SDGs in Commonwealth countries
Nominations are to be submitted online and self-nominations are permitted. Nominees must be Commonwealth citizens or based in Commonwealth countries, and must have been engaged in developing their innovations for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity. Awardees will receive a trophy, a certificate and prize money of £2000. The deadline for submission of nominations is December 31, 2018. Visit the Commonwealth Innovation Hub to find out more.